What life audits are important at age 35 -45

For the 35–45 age group, the emphasis should shift from finding oneself to reassessing what matters when career uncertainty, family responsibilities, ageing parents, financial pressures, and awareness of mortality become more real

Between This Life and the Next

Lessons for the 35–45 Years of Life

Between 35 and 45, life often changes character.

At 25, we may be primarily concerned with building a life.

By 40, we begin asking whether the life we have built is actually worth living.

Career uncertainty becomes more real. Technology can make years of experience feel suddenly vulnerable. Companies restructure. Businesses fail. Skills become obsolete. Children grow older. Parents age. Financial responsibilities increase. Health can no longer be taken for granted.

And perhaps most importantly, mortality becomes less abstract.

We begin to understand that this life—however long it may be—is temporary.

For a person who believes in God and life after death, this creates a deeper question:

If this world is temporary and the next life is permanent, what should I ultimately be working toward?

The teachings of Neer Karoli Baba, Aristotle, the Stoics, Rumi, Viktor Frankl and other thinkers offer useful perspectives. Their traditions differ considerably, but several of their insights can help us navigate this stage of life.


1. Don't Let the Material World Become Your Definition of Success

A central idea in Indian spiritual thought is maya—the tendency to mistake the material world as the entirety of reality.

Our senses show us the world around us: money, houses, cars, careers, status, beauty, possessions and achievements.

They are real at the level of everyday life.

But they are temporary.

The danger is not possessing material things.

The danger is allowing them to become the purpose of existence.

At 40, this distinction becomes especially important.

A scenario

A 40-year-old has spent fifteen years building his career.

His salary, house and social position have become important parts of his identity.

Then his company restructures.

Suddenly he is unemployed.

He feels:

"If I don't have my position, who am I?"

This is precisely where the distinction between having something and being something becomes important.

The job was a responsibility.

It was never the entirety of his identity.

He is still:

  • a human being,

  • a son or daughter,

  • a spouse,

  • a parent,

  • a friend,

  • a member of society,

  • and, for a believer, a servant of God.

The job can disappear.

Your relationship with God and the character you developed through life are not reducible to a job title.

Therefore:

Earn.

Save.

Invest.

Build.

Provide for your family.

But remember:

You are passing through this world; you are not permanently settling here.


2. Remember That There Is a Life After This Life

For someone who believes in God and the Hereafter, death changes the way worldly success should be evaluated.

The question is not merely:

"How successful was I?"

It is also:

"What did I do with the life I was given?"

Money matters because we have responsibilities.

Career matters because our work can provide for ourselves and others.

Health matters because the body is a trust.

Family matters because relationships carry responsibilities.

But none of these should make us forget that worldly life has an endpoint.

A scenario

A 42-year-old spends every waking hour trying to reach a financial target.

He tells himself:

"Once I have ₹5 crore, I'll spend more time with my family and focus on my spiritual life."

But every time he approaches the target, the target moves.

₹5 crore becomes ₹7 crore.

Then ₹10 crore.

Meanwhile, his children grow up and his parents become older.

The problem isn't financial ambition.

The problem is postponing the things that matter eternally until an uncertain future.

A believer can plan for retirement without postponing repentance.

He can build wealth without postponing charity.

He can pursue a career without postponing prayer.

He can enjoy life without forgetting death.

Prepare for tomorrow—but don't sacrifice eternity for it.


3. Career Uncertainty Is a Reminder, Not Necessarily a Disaster

The 35–45 period can create a particular anxiety:

"What if my job disappears?"

This fear is understandable.

But it also reveals an uncomfortable truth:

No worldly position is permanent.

A job can disappear at 40.

A business can disappear at 45.

An investment can lose value.

A profession can change because of technology.

Even physical ability eventually declines.

Therefore, security cannot come entirely from an external position.

A scenario

A 38-year-old works in a technology company.

AI begins automating significant parts of his work.

He spends six months worrying about whether his role will survive.

Alternatively, he could use the uncertainty as a signal to diversify his dependence:

  • strengthen transferable skills;

  • understand AI;

  • develop domain expertise;

  • build professional relationships;

  • maintain financial reserves;

  • explore additional income streams;

  • remain employable rather than merely employed.

Most importantly, he can recognise:

"My job is a means of fulfilling my responsibilities. It is not my ultimate security."

Plan carefully, but place ultimate reliance on God rather than on a designation, employer or salary.


4. Trust the Process—But Continue Taking Responsibility

"Trust the process" can be misunderstood.

It does not mean:

"Whatever happens, I don't need to do anything."

Faith and responsibility can coexist.

We do what is within our capacity and accept that the final outcome is not completely ours to control.

This is close to the Stoic distinction between what is within our control and what isn't.

A scenario

A 41-year-old loses his job.

He:

  1. updates his skills;

  2. contacts his professional network;

  3. applies for suitable positions;

  4. reduces unnecessary expenses;

  5. continues supporting his family;

  6. prays for guidance;

  7. accepts that the final outcome is beyond his complete control.

If the next opportunity comes quickly, he remains grateful.

If it takes longer, he continues making an effort.

Faith should produce perseverance, not passivity.


5. Know Yourself Before the Second Half of Life Begins

Aristotle's emphasis on self-knowledge becomes particularly relevant between 35 and 45.

By this age, you may have spent 15–20 years following expectations:

Study.

Get a job.

Earn.

Marry.

Buy a house.

Raise children.

Build status.

But eventually a deeper question emerges:

"Is this actually the life I should be living?"

A scenario

A 44-year-old is successful but chronically dissatisfied.

He realises that for twenty years he has been competing with people he doesn't even particularly admire.

He wanted:

  • recognition,

  • a bigger salary,

  • a better title,

  • social status.

But what he actually values is:

  • family,

  • meaningful work,

  • learning,

  • service,

  • spiritual growth,

  • sufficient—not unlimited—wealth.

This realisation doesn't require abandoning his responsibilities.

It may simply require changing his priorities.

The 35–45 period can therefore be a valuable time for a personal audit.

Ask:

What am I pursuing?

Why am I pursuing it?

Who benefits from my efforts?

What am I neglecting?

If I had only ten years left, what would I change?

And perhaps:

If I were standing before God, which parts of my life would I be proud to present?


6. Don't Allow People Who Hurt You to Damage Your Hereafter

Neer Karoli Baba's teaching about loving even those who hurt us becomes particularly powerful as we grow older.

By 40, most people have experienced betrayal, disappointment, unfairness or rejection.

Someone may have:

  • cheated you;

  • insulted you;

  • taken credit for your work;

  • broken your trust;

  • damaged a relationship;

  • treated you unfairly.

The natural response is resentment.

But carrying hatred for years has a hidden cost.

A scenario

A 39-year-old is betrayed by a business partner.

For the next five years, he talks about the person whenever the subject arises.

The betrayal happened once.

But he is effectively allowing the person to hurt him repeatedly through his own memories.

A healthier response is:

Acknowledge the wrong.

Protect yourself from repetition.

Set boundaries.

Seek justice where appropriate.

But don't allow hatred to become part of your character.

For a believer, there is another consideration:

The way we treat people may matter beyond this life.

Forgiving someone does not mean declaring that what they did was acceptable.

It means refusing to let their wrongdoing determine who you become.


7. Clean the Mirror of the Heart

The metaphor of cleansing the heart is particularly relevant as responsibilities increase.

At 25, ego may manifest as:

"I want to prove myself."

At 40, it can become:

"I have achieved more than most people. They should respect me."

This is where success itself can become a spiritual test.

The heart can accumulate:

  • arrogance,

  • jealousy,

  • greed,

  • resentment,

  • envy,

  • excessive attachment to wealth,

  • obsession with recognition.

A scenario

A 43-year-old sees a younger colleague promoted above him.

His immediate thought is:

"How can someone with half my experience get ahead of me?"

He could allow resentment to grow.

Or he could ask:

"Why does this bother me so much?"

Perhaps the deeper issue is wounded pride.

Recognising that doesn't mean suppressing legitimate concerns about career progression.

It means separating the practical problem from the ego reaction.

The practical problem may require a conversation with management.

The ego problem requires work on oneself.

A clean heart doesn't mean never experiencing jealousy or anger. It means not allowing those emotions to become your master.


8. Happiness Cannot Depend Entirely on Circumstances

At 35–45, circumstances can become complicated.

Mortgage.

Children's education.

Career pressure.

Ageing parents.

Health concerns.

Financial obligations.

Relationship responsibilities.

There may never be a period when everything is perfectly settled.

If happiness requires perfect circumstances, happiness will remain permanently postponed.

A scenario

A 40-year-old says:

"I'll relax when the children finish school."

Then:

"I'll relax when I finish paying the mortgage."

Then:

"I'll relax when I retire."

Eventually, decades have passed.

A better approach is:

Solve tomorrow's problems while still living today's life.

Work seriously.

Save responsibly.

Exercise.

Spend time with family.

Pray.

Help others.

Enjoy permissible pleasures.

Be grateful.

Rest.

The goal is not to abandon worldly responsibilities.

It is to prevent them from consuming your entire existence.


9. Clarity Comes From Within—and From Knowing Your Ultimate Purpose

The older we become, the more information we accumulate.

But information doesn't necessarily produce wisdom.

We need periods of silence and reflection.

A scenario

A 37-year-old receives conflicting advice about a career decision.

One friend says:

"Take the money."

Another says:

"Take the title."

Another says:

"Start your own company."

Instead of immediately following someone else's formula, he asks:

  • What responsibilities do I currently have?

  • What risks can my family realistically tolerate?

  • What do I value?

  • What skills do I possess?

  • What does my conscience tell me?

  • Will this decision bring me closer to or further from the kind of person I want to become?

For a believer, add another question:

"Will this choice help me fulfil my responsibilities to God and to people?"

Clarity often emerges when the noise becomes quieter.


10. Keep Moving—But Don't Run Away From Yourself

Neer Karoli Baba's image of the moving yogi and moving river offers a powerful lesson.

A moving river doesn't allow sediment to settle permanently.

Human beings also need movement.

But movement doesn't necessarily mean changing jobs, cities or relationships.

Sometimes the necessary movement is inner movement.

A scenario

A 45-year-old has made a major mistake in his career at 35.

Ten years later, he still thinks:

"That was the moment I ruined my life."

But ten years have passed.

The mistake is now part of his history—not his destiny.

He can extract the lesson:

"I was overconfident."

"I didn't understand financial risk."

"I trusted the wrong person."

Then move forward.

Repent where necessary. Learn what is useful. Repair what can be repaired. Then continue.

Don't spend the second half of your life permanently arguing with the first half.


11. Your Children Learn More From Your Life Than Your Advice

Between 35 and 45, parenting becomes a major part of life for many people.

This introduces another dimension to spiritual responsibility.

Children don't simply listen to what we tell them.

They observe what we actually value.

A scenario

A father repeatedly tells his children:

"Money isn't everything."

But they see him working every evening, constantly talking about money and having no time for family.

The child learns the behaviour rather than the lecture.

Similarly, if parents demonstrate:

  • honesty,

  • prayer,

  • generosity,

  • patience,

  • responsibility,

  • respect,

  • gratitude,

children experience those values as something lived rather than merely taught.

One of the most important legacies we leave may not be what we leave to our children, but what we leave in them.


12. Your Parents Are Also Moving Toward the End of Their Journey

At 35–45, another reality becomes unavoidable:

Our parents are ageing.

When we are young, parents seem permanent.

Eventually we notice:

They tire more easily.

They have more medical appointments.

They repeat stories.

They need more help.

Their generation is gradually moving toward the end of its earthly journey.

A scenario

A 40-year-old is extremely busy building his career.

His father calls regularly.

He thinks:

"I'll spend more time with him once work becomes less busy."

But work rarely becomes permanently less busy.

One day there may be no next call.

The lesson isn't that we must abandon careers.

It is that some opportunities have expiration dates.

Money can often be earned later.

A conversation with a parent cannot always be postponed.


13. Build Wealth—but Don't Become Its Servant

Spirituality should not be confused with irresponsibility.

A 40-year-old has real obligations.

Children need education.

Parents may need support.

Unexpected illness or unemployment can create financial pressure.

Therefore:

Financial planning is responsibility, not necessarily materialism.

The question is what wealth does to the heart.

A scenario

Two people both build ₹2 crore of wealth.

One thinks:

"Now I am superior to others."

The other thinks:

"This gives me the ability to support my family, remain independent, help others and spend less of my life worrying about money."

The asset is identical.

Its psychological and moral meaning is different.

Use wealth as a tool. Don't make it your master.


14. Remember Death Without Becoming Afraid of Life

Thinking about death isn't necessarily pessimistic.

For a believer, death is a transition rather than simply an ending.

Remembering it can actually make life more purposeful.

If we knew with certainty that we had only one year left, many priorities would immediately become clearer.

A scenario

A 42-year-old asks himself:

"If I knew I would die within a year, what would I regret?"

Perhaps:

  • not spending enough time with his parents;

  • neglecting his spouse;

  • being absent from his children's lives;

  • delaying repentance;

  • not helping people when he could;

  • allowing an old grievance to consume him;

  • spending too much time chasing status.

The exercise isn't about abandoning one's career.

It is about identifying what deserves greater priority now.

Death can therefore become a teacher.

It reminds us:

There is no unlimited supply of tomorrows.


15. Leave Something Behind That Continues After You

One of the most meaningful questions for the 35–45 period is:

"What will remain because I existed?"

Not necessarily a building or a company.

It could be:

  • children raised with good values;

  • students taught;

  • people helped;

  • knowledge shared;

  • charitable work;

  • useful institutions built;

  • someone's life changed because you were there.

A scenario

A 40-year-old professional begins mentoring two younger people.

He helps them avoid mistakes he made.

Ten years later, those people are helping others.

His original action has created consequences beyond himself.

This is a different definition of legacy.

A meaningful legacy is not necessarily what carries your name; it is what carries your goodness forward.


16. The Real Midlife Question

The biggest danger between 35 and 45 isn't necessarily losing a job.

It isn't necessarily losing money.

It isn't even necessarily failing at something.

It may be reaching 45 and discovering that you spent the previous decade becoming extremely successful at something that was never your ultimate purpose.

At this stage, therefore, periodically conduct three audits.


The Worldly Audit

Ask:

Am I financially responsible?

Are my skills still relevant?

Am I protecting my family's future?

Am I taking care of my body?


The Human Audit

Ask:

Am I a good spouse, parent, child, sibling and friend?

Do people feel safe and respected around me?

Have I allowed old grievances to change my character?


The Spiritual Audit

Ask:

Am I remembering God?

Have worldly ambitions become more important than my relationship with Him?

Am I fulfilling my responsibilities?

If my life ended soon, what would I wish I had changed?

What am I doing that I would want to carry with me into the Hereafter?


The Deeper Lesson

The 35–45 period is not simply the "middle" of life.

It can be a turning point in how we understand life itself.

Earlier, we may have thought:

"I need to build my future."

Now we begin to realise:

"I am already living the future I once imagined."

And therefore the question changes.

Not merely:

How much more can I achieve?

But:

What should I do with the years that remain?

The teachings of spiritual teachers and philosophers point us toward a different kind of success:

Know yourself.

Control your ego.

Don't become enslaved by possessions.

Work hard without worshipping work.

Prepare for uncertainty without living in fear.

Forgive without abandoning boundaries.

Love people without becoming dependent on their approval.

Take care of your family.

Respect your parents.

Build wealth responsibly.

Keep learning.

Keep moving.

Serve others.

And remember death—not to become frightened by it, but to put this life into perspective.

Because if this life is temporary and the Hereafter is permanent, then our worldly achievements cannot be the final measure of our existence.

The job title will disappear.

The house will eventually belong to someone else.

The money will eventually change hands.

The photographs will fade.

The body will return to the earth.

What remains, for a believer, is the relationship with God and the consequences of how one lived.

So perhaps the most important question between 35 and 45 is not:

"How much more can I get from life?"

but:

"What can I do with the life God has given me—and what kind of person will I be when this temporary journey ends?"

That question can change how we approach our career, money, family, relationships, failures, success—and ultimately, life itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking of Airlines by Safety (Based on Accidents and Serious Snags, 2005–2025)

100 stable and 100 unstable job roles for 2025–2030

How AI Could Rewire Industry and Jobs Across India, the Gulf, and the U.S.