Avoid Illusory progress / psychological productivity - with diverse scenarios

 Below is a broader framework for the phenomenon you identified. I would call the central phenomenon illusory progress or psychological productivity: engaging in activities that provide the experience of progress without producing proportionate movement toward the underlying objective.

Importantly, this is not necessarily laziness, stupidity, or conscious self-deception. Often the person is working hard. The problem is that the work is poorly connected to the outcome.

The Psychology of Illusory Progress

Why intelligent, hardworking adults spend enormous amounts of time doing things that feel productive but don't materially improve their lives

1. The fundamental distinction: activity is not progress

People routinely make an implicit assumption:

If I am spending significant time and effort on something related to my goal, I must be progressing toward it.

That assumption is false.

A person can spend:

  • 1,000 hours studying and remain poorly prepared

  • 500 hours researching businesses without starting one

  • 200 hours designing a product nobody wants

  • 100 hours applying for jobs using an ineffective strategy

  • years attending networking events without developing useful relationships

  • months exercising without changing the behaviors that determine their health

  • enormous amounts of time planning their finances while remaining financially disorganized

The critical variable is not effort.

It is:

How strongly does the activity causally contribute to the desired outcome?

This gives us an important distinction:

Activity → Effort → Feeling of progress → Actual progress

These four things are not equivalent.


2. The basic psychological mechanism

The pattern usually looks like this:

Desired outcome

Uncertainty / difficulty / fear of failure

High-value action feels uncomfortable

Person finds a related but safer activity

Activity produces immediate psychological reward

Person experiences relief and a sense of progress

The actual difficult action is postponed

Time passes

The person becomes increasingly invested in the substitute

This is why the phenomenon is more sophisticated than ordinary procrastination.

Ordinary procrastination

"I don't want to work, so I'll watch Netflix."

Psychological productivity

"I don't want to make those difficult sales calls, so I'll spend today researching the market."

The second person may work for eight hours.

They may even feel exhausted at the end.

But they have potentially avoided the most important task.


3. The major categories of psychological productivity

A. Research replacing experimentation

Entrepreneur

Real task:
Talk to 30 potential customers.

Substitute:

  • Read industry reports

  • Watch YouTube videos

  • Ask ChatGPT for business ideas

  • Study competitors

  • Create a 50-page business plan

  • Research logos

  • Research company names

Psychological reward:

"I'm becoming knowledgeable about this industry."

Reality:

Nobody has demonstrated that they will buy.


Aspiring restaurant owner

He spends three months researching:

  • cuisines

  • locations

  • interiors

  • equipment

  • menus

  • Instagram marketing

But never asks:

"Will 50 people actually pay ₹400 for this meal?"

The most valuable research might have been a ₹5,000 experiment.


4. Planning replacing execution

Planning is legitimate and often essential.

The problem occurs when:

Planning becomes an alternative to commitment.

Examples:

  • continuously redesigning a business model

  • creating increasingly sophisticated financial spreadsheets

  • repeatedly rewriting a career plan

  • building elaborate project-management systems

  • creating increasingly detailed study timetables

  • repeatedly reorganizing notes

A person can become extremely good at planning the life they never execute.

The diagnostic question

"What decision will this planning allow me to make?"

If the answer is unclear, more planning may simply be postponement.


5. Learning replacing doing

This is extremely common among educated adults.

Example: aspiring programmer

They complete:

  • Python course

  • SQL course

  • AI course

  • machine-learning course

  • cloud course

  • another certification

But have never:

  • built a production application

  • contributed to GitHub

  • solved a real business problem

  • worked with users

They have accumulated knowledge capital but insufficient execution capital.


Example: aspiring investor

Reads:

  • 20 books

  • 50 newsletters

  • technical-analysis articles

  • annual reports

  • Warren Buffett interviews

  • macroeconomic commentary

But never develops:

  • an investment thesis

  • position sizing rules

  • valuation discipline

  • portfolio construction

  • a documented track record

Learning is useful.

But at some point:

Learning must become a tool for making decisions.


6. Preparation replacing performance

This is particularly dangerous in education.

Competitive-exam student

The student:

  • attends coaching

  • watches lectures

  • highlights books

  • makes beautiful notes

  • buys test series

  • downloads study material

  • watches topper interviews

  • makes timetables

But avoids:

  • timed mock examinations

  • difficult questions

  • performance analysis

  • confronting weak subjects

Why?

Because preparation feels safer than measurement.

A mock test produces an uncomfortable number.

Reading another chapter doesn't.


7. Certification replacing competence

This occurs throughout professional life.

A person wants to become:

Data analyst

They collect:

  • Excel certificate

  • SQL certificate

  • Power BI certificate

  • Python certificate

  • Tableau certificate

But cannot independently analyze a real dataset and communicate a business conclusion.

Similarly:

Project manager

→ certifications but poor stakeholder management.

Digital marketer

→ courses but no campaign results.

HR professional

→ certifications but poor interviewing ability.

Salesperson

→ sales training but weak real-world closing.

The certificate provides identity reinforcement:

"I am now qualified."

But the market asks:

"What can you actually produce?"


8. Comfortable employment replacing career development

Your internship example generalizes widely.

Fresher

Chooses:

Company A

  • beautiful office

  • free meals

  • relaxed environment

  • friendly colleagues

  • little responsibility

instead of:

Company B

  • difficult manager

  • demanding assignments

  • uncomfortable learning

  • substantial responsibility

  • strong mentorship

Company A may maximize current comfort.

Company B may maximize future employability.

The psychological trap is that the person tells himself:

"I have a good job in a great company."

while quietly accumulating very little career capital.


9. Networking replacing relationship building

People often confuse:

meeting people

with:

building relationships.

Examples:

  • attending 100 conferences

  • collecting LinkedIn connections

  • exchanging business cards

  • joining WhatsApp groups

  • attending startup events

  • joining professional associations

Yet:

  • nobody knows what they are capable of

  • nobody trusts them

  • nobody refers business to them

  • they haven't helped anyone meaningfully

Social activity ≠ social capital.

The valuable question is:

"Who would actually call me when an opportunity arises?"


10. Branding replacing business

Another common entrepreneurial trap.

Before proving demand, the founder spends months on:

  • logo

  • website

  • business cards

  • office

  • uniforms

  • packaging

  • social media design

  • corporate presentation

  • company profile

These things are visible.

Customer discovery is less glamorous.

So the person builds the appearance of a company before building the economics of a company.


11. Productivity systems replacing productivity

This is a particularly modern version.

People become fascinated with:

  • Notion

  • productivity apps

  • calendars

  • task-management systems

  • morning routines

  • time-blocking

  • dashboards

  • habit trackers

  • AI assistants

They spend hours optimizing the system.

But the system exists to help them accomplish:

What?

A sophisticated dashboard tracking zero meaningful outcomes is still zero meaningful outcomes.


12. Reading replacing thinking

A person can consume enormous quantities of information without developing judgment.

Examples:

  • endless news

  • podcasts

  • YouTube

  • business books

  • newsletters

  • Reddit

  • LinkedIn

  • AI-generated summaries

Information consumption produces the feeling:

"I'm staying informed."

But information has value only when it changes:

  • understanding

  • decisions

  • behavior

  • capability

  • outcomes.

Otherwise:

Information consumption becomes intellectual entertainment.


13. Health and fitness

This phenomenon is extremely common here.

Fitness

People buy:

  • gym membership

  • shoes

  • smartwatch

  • supplements

  • workout programs

  • nutrition apps

They research:

  • macros

  • supplements

  • exercises

  • optimal routines

But don't consistently train.

Weight management

They research:

  • keto

  • intermittent fasting

  • low-carb diets

  • Indian diet plans

  • calorie calculators

But don't change food intake consistently.

Healthcare

People sometimes:

  • read medical information

  • compare doctors online

  • watch health videos

  • discuss symptoms

instead of taking the appropriate real-world step.

Research can be useful.

But:

Research should reduce uncertainty enough to enable action—not become an endless substitute for action.


14. Relationships

This phenomenon isn't restricted to careers.

Someone wants a relationship but:

  • spends hours on dating apps

  • optimizes their profile

  • researches dating psychology

  • watches relationship advice

  • analyzes messages

but avoids:

  • meeting people

  • expressing genuine interest

  • having difficult conversations

  • risking rejection.

Similarly, in an existing relationship:

reading relationship advice can become easier than actually discussing the problem with one's partner.


15. Parenting

Parents can substitute parenting activities for actual parenting.

Examples:

  • buying educational toys

  • researching schools

  • downloading learning apps

  • buying books

  • watching parenting videos

  • enrolling children in activities

while neglecting:

  • meaningful conversation

  • listening

  • emotional availability

  • reading together

  • observing the child's actual difficulties

  • setting consistent boundaries.

The quantity of resources is not the same as quality of parenting.


16. Personal finance

Another major area.

Someone wants financial security.

They:

  • watch financial YouTubers

  • compare mutual funds

  • read market commentary

  • track stock prices

  • build spreadsheets

  • calculate FIRE scenarios

but don't:

  • control spending

  • build emergency reserves

  • insure appropriately

  • invest consistently

  • increase earning capacity

  • eliminate expensive debt

Financial knowledge becomes financial entertainment.


17. Entrepreneurship

Entrepreneurship may have one of the highest concentrations of this phenomenon.

Consider the progression:

Stage 1

"I have a business idea."

Stage 2

"I researched the market."

Stage 3

"I created a business model."

Stage 4

"I created a website."

Stage 5

"I registered the company."

Stage 6

"I built the product."

Stage 7

"I launched."

Stage 8

"I marketed it."

Stage 9

"I got some users."

Stage 10

"I got paying customers."

Only the later stages begin producing strong evidence about whether the business actually works.

A person can spend six months moving through stages 1–6 while believing:

"I'm building my business."

That may be true technically.

But economically, they may still have zero validated demand.


18. Career change

Suppose someone wants to move from IT support into cybersecurity.

Psychological productivity:

  • watches cybersecurity videos

  • reads articles

  • attends webinars

  • joins cybersecurity communities

  • researches certifications

  • talks about AI and cybersecurity

Actual career transition:

  • learns required skills

  • builds labs

  • completes practical projects

  • obtains demonstrable evidence

  • contacts hiring managers

  • applies

  • interviews

  • gets rejected

  • improves

  • repeats.

The second process is much more psychologically expensive.


19. Social media creators

Someone wants to become a creator.

They:

  • research cameras

  • compare microphones

  • design logos

  • research algorithms

  • study successful creators

  • plan content calendars

but don't publish 50 pieces of content.

The uncomfortable truth is that publishing creates feedback.

Feedback can destroy a fantasy.

Research preserves it.


20. Writers

An aspiring author:

  • reads about writing

  • buys writing software

  • researches publishers

  • studies famous authors

  • outlines novels

  • discusses the story

but doesn't finish the manuscript.

The person can legitimately say:

"I'm working on my novel."

Yet the relevant metric is:

Words completed.


21. Artists and designers

A person wants to become an artist.

They:

  • watch tutorials

  • buy expensive equipment

  • research materials

  • study famous artists

  • reorganize their workspace

but produce little finished work.

Again:

Consumption of instruction is not production of competence.


22. Spirituality and self-development

This area requires particular caution because reflection genuinely has value.

But even here, substitution occurs.

Someone wants greater self-discipline.

They:

  • read self-help books

  • listen to motivational speakers

  • journal

  • watch inspirational videos

  • discuss philosophy

but don't change their daily behavior.

Someone wants greater patience:

studies patience rather than practicing patience.

Someone wants courage:

reads about courage rather than doing something frightening.

Self-development can therefore become:

self-improvement entertainment.


23. Political and social activism

A person wants social change.

They:

  • consume political content

  • argue online

  • share posts

  • join groups

  • attend discussions

but do little that affects actual outcomes.

The person experiences:

"I'm doing something."

The external impact may be negligible.


24. House and lifestyle optimization

People sometimes spend excessive amounts of time:

  • comparing furniture

  • researching appliances

  • organizing cupboards

  • redesigning rooms

  • researching smart-home technology

  • watching cleaning videos

while avoiding more consequential household problems:

  • financial planning

  • repairs

  • family discussions

  • decluttering

  • maintenance.

Optimization can itself become avoidance.


25. The psychology behind it

Several psychological mechanisms can contribute.

25.1 Immediate reward versus delayed reward

The brain tends to value immediate psychological rewards.

Compare:

Market research call

Possible outcome:

rejection.

versus

Reading a business article

Immediate outcome:

interesting information + feeling competent.

The second has a much more attractive immediate reward.

This is one reason procrastination is fundamentally a self-regulation problem rather than merely a time-management problem. Contemporary reviews describe procrastination as a prevalent form of self-regulatory failure with consequences across life domains. (Nature)


26. Avoidance of ego threat

This is perhaps the most important mechanism.

High-value activities often generate diagnostic information.

A sales call tells you:

"People don't want this."

A mock exam tells you:

"I'm currently below the required level."

A job application tells you:

"Employers aren't selecting me."

A product launch tells you:

"Customers don't care."

That information threatens the person's:

  • self-esteem

  • identity

  • competence

  • optimism

  • social status

So the brain naturally gravitates toward activities that provide less threatening information.

Research on achievement motivation distinguishes approach and avoidance forms of goal pursuit; avoidance-oriented achievement goals are associated with poorer outcomes and can be driven by motives to avoid failure. (PubMed)


27. Identity protection

This is particularly powerful.

Suppose someone says:

"I am an entrepreneur."

As long as they are researching and planning, the identity survives.

Actually attempting to sell introduces:

"Maybe I'm not a good entrepreneur."

So maintaining activity without exposing oneself to reality can protect the identity.

The same applies to:

  • "I'm a serious investor."

  • "I'm preparing for UPSC."

  • "I'm a writer."

  • "I'm becoming a fitness person."

  • "I'm building a startup."

  • "I'm a future CEO."

The identity can become a substitute for the achievement.


28. Competence theater

Some activities produce a feeling of competence without testing competence.

For example:

Reading about investing → feeling knowledgeable.

versus

Making an investment and living with the consequences → actual decision competence.

Watching coding tutorials → feeling technically sophisticated.

versus

Debugging an application for six hours → actual technical competence.

The second involves friction, uncertainty and feedback.

That is exactly why it is more valuable.


29. The "sunk-cost trap"

Once people have invested heavily in a substitute activity, abandoning it becomes psychologically difficult.

Example:

A student has spent:

₹2 lakh + 18 months

on an exam.

Even when mock-test performance indicates that the probability of success is poor, they may continue because:

"I've already invested so much."

The previous investment becomes a reason to make further investment.

The correct question is:

"Given what I know today, would I choose this path again?"

Not:

"How much have I already invested?"


30. Escalation through consistency

A person also wants to maintain consistency with their previous decisions.

If they publicly announced:

"I'm launching my business."

it becomes psychologically harder to admit:

"The market doesn't want it."

Therefore they may continue modifying the business rather than testing whether the underlying premise is wrong.


31. The danger of positive feedback

Social environments can reinforce psychological productivity.

Imagine telling friends:

"I'm preparing for a competitive exam."

They respond:

"Great! Very ambitious."

Nobody asks:

"What's your latest percentile?"

Likewise:

"I'm building a startup."

People respond:

"Amazing!"

rather than:

"How many paying customers?"

Social approval can therefore reward the identity and effort, rather than the outcome.


32. ChatGPT creates a new version of this problem

This is especially relevant now.

AI makes it extraordinarily easy to produce:

  • business plans

  • market analyses

  • financial models

  • strategy documents

  • product ideas

  • marketing plans

  • websites

  • presentations

  • research summaries

  • competitive analyses

This can dramatically reduce the friction of thinking about doing something.

That is valuable.

But it creates a new risk:

AI-assisted planning can become an extremely sophisticated form of procrastination.

You can have an extraordinarily intelligent conversation about a business without ever:

  • calling one customer

  • contacting one supplier

  • sending one quotation

  • making one sale.

The output can look impressive enough to fool even the person producing it.

Therefore:

AI should ideally shorten the distance between thinking and execution—not make thinking infinitely easier.


33. The most important distinction: reversible vs irreversible actions

Psychological productivity often favors reversible actions.

Examples:

  • research

  • planning

  • reading

  • brainstorming

  • watching videos

  • redesigning

  • taking courses

You can always do them again tomorrow.

Real progress often requires irreversible or costly actions:

  • applying

  • publishing

  • selling

  • investing

  • quitting

  • launching

  • asking

  • negotiating

  • taking an exam

  • contacting a customer

  • showing your work

Those actions create consequences.

And consequences create information.


34. The "Reality Contact" principle

A powerful way to evaluate an activity is:

How much contact does this activity have with the reality that determines success?

Low reality contact

  • reading

  • planning

  • imagining

  • discussing

  • researching

  • designing

  • consuming

Medium reality contact

  • simulations

  • mock tests

  • prototypes

  • practice projects

  • interviews with experts

High reality contact

  • customers

  • sales

  • exams

  • employers

  • users

  • investors

  • paying clients

  • real performance metrics

The closer the activity is to the actual decision-maker or outcome, generally the more diagnostic information it provides.


35. But preparation is NOT inherently bad

This distinction is crucial.

It would be wrong to conclude:

"Stop researching and just act."

Some goals require extensive preparation.

A surgeon must study before operating.

A pilot must train before flying.

A company must conduct due diligence before investing.

A student must learn before taking an exam.

An entrepreneur may genuinely need market research.

The problem is not preparation.

The problem is:

Preparation whose marginal benefit has fallen below the benefit of obtaining real-world feedback.

That's the key.


36. The "minimum sufficient preparation" principle

Ask:

"What is the minimum amount I need to know before performing the next real-world test?"

For example:

Starting a food business

You don't need to understand the entire food industry.

You may need to know:

  • target customer

  • product

  • approximate cost

  • price

  • basic regulatory requirements

  • where to test

Then test.


37. Use experiments instead of speculation

Instead of asking:

"Will customers buy this?"

Run an experiment.

Instead of:

"Would students pay ₹999?"

Ask 50 students.

Instead of:

"Would businesses use this service?"

Pitch 20 businesses.

Instead of:

"Is this career suitable for me?"

Speak to five people doing the job and complete a small project.

The objective becomes:

Convert uncertainty into evidence.


38. A practical anti-illusion framework

For every important goal, define five things.

1. Outcome

What do I actually want?

Not:

"Build a business."

But:

"₹1 lakh/month revenue from 100 paying customers."

Not:

"Prepare for an exam."

But:

"Reach the 95th percentile in the relevant mock-test benchmark."


2. Leading indicators

What should increase before the final result appears?

Business:

  • customer conversations

  • proposals

  • conversion rate

  • repeat purchases

Career:

  • applications

  • interviews

  • portfolio projects

  • referrals

Education:

  • mock-test scores

  • accuracy

  • speed

  • weak-topic mastery


3. Reality tests

What activity gives me the strongest evidence?

Business:

selling

Career:

applying/interviewing

Exam:

timed testing

Fitness:

adherence + objective measurements

Investment:

documented decisions + portfolio performance over an appropriate horizon


4. Kill criteria

Before beginning, determine:

What evidence would make me stop or change direction?

This is extremely important.

For example:

"If after 100 qualified customer conversations fewer than 3 are willing to pay, I will reconsider the proposition."

Now reality can change your mind.

Without kill criteria, people can rationalize almost anything.


5. Time allocation

Set a ratio.

For example:

30% learning / planning
70% execution / testing

The precise ratio varies by field, but the principle is powerful.


39. A "Psychological Productivity Audit"

Once a week, list your major activities.

For each one, score:

QuestionScore
Does this directly contribute to my goal?0–5
Does it produce measurable evidence?0–5
Does it improve an important capability?0–5
Does it expose me to reality/feedback?0–5
Does it have a clear next action?0–5

Then separately score:

Psychological characteristicScore
Feels satisfying0–5
Makes me feel productive0–5
Gives me status/identity0–5
Avoids possible rejection0–5
Is comfortable0–5

The interesting cases are activities with:

High psychological reward + low objective contribution.

Those deserve investigation.


40. The "If I stopped doing this..." test

Ask:

"If I stopped this activity for 30 days, what would I actually lose?"

If the answer is:

"Nothing measurable."

then perhaps it isn't important.

Another powerful question:

"What would I have to do if this activity were prohibited?"

Suppose you prohibit yourself from:

  • reading about businesses

  • watching entrepreneurship videos

  • asking AI for more business ideas

What remains?

You would have to:

talk to customers.

That reveals the real work.


41. The "output before input" rule

For some activities, reverse the normal sequence.

Instead of:

Learn → learn → learn → eventually produce

use:

Produce → discover deficiency → learn → improve → produce again.

For example:

Writing

Write first → discover weaknesses → study writing → rewrite.

Programming

Build first → encounter problem → learn relevant concept.

Sales

Make calls → identify objection → learn objection handling.

Business

Sell prototype → discover customer problem → modify product.

This makes learning problem-driven, rather than consumption-driven.


42. The "one unit of reality every day" rule

For important goals, require one action every day that creates external evidence.

Examples:

Entrepreneur

One customer conversation.

Job seeker

One meaningful application or professional contact.

Student

One timed test/section.

Writer

500 finished words.

Creator

One published piece.

Salesperson

10 meaningful outreach attempts.

Investor

One documented investment thesis—not necessarily one trade.

The quantity should be appropriate to the domain.

The principle is:

Every day, something should leave your head and encounter the outside world.


43. Use implementation intentions

A useful evidence-based technique is to convert vague intentions into if–then rules:

If situation X occurs, I will perform action Y.

For example:

"If it is 9:00 AM, I will call my first customer."

"If I finish breakfast, I will complete one mock-test section."

"If I catch myself researching another business idea, I will first contact three potential customers for the current idea."

Research on implementation intentions has found meaningful improvements in goal attainment; a meta-analysis of 94 independent tests reported a medium-to-large overall effect. (DOI)


44. Introduce forced feedback

The strongest mitigation is to make reality unavoidable.

Entrepreneur

Weekly:

Number of customer conversations
Number of proposals
Number of paying customers
Revenue

Student

Weekly:

Mock score
Percentile
Accuracy
Weak topics

Job seeker

Weekly:

Applications
Interviews
Rejections
Referrals

Creator

Weekly:

Published pieces
Views
Engagement
Subscriber growth

Salesperson

Weekly:

Calls
Conversations
Meetings
Conversions

The principle is:

Measure the output, not the effort alone.


45. Be careful with "hours worked"

Hours are often a terrible measure of productivity.

Someone may say:

"I worked 10 hours today."

The better question is:

"What changed after those 10 hours?"

For different domains:

Business → revenue/customer evidence

Education → competence/performance

Career → employability

Fitness → adherence/physical outcomes

Writing → finished work

Sales → qualified pipeline

Programming → functioning software

Research → validated knowledge/decision


46. A hierarchy of evidence

Not all evidence is equal.

I would use this hierarchy:

Level 0 — Intention

"I want to do it."

Level 1 — Consumption

"I've studied it."

Level 2 — Preparation

"I've prepared for it."

Level 3 — Simulation

"I've practiced it."

Level 4 — External feedback

"Real people evaluated it."

Level 5 — Behavioral validation

"People changed their behavior because of it."

Level 6 — Economic validation

"People paid for it."

Level 7 — Sustained outcome

"It continues producing results."

People frequently mistake Level 1–3 evidence for Level 5–7 evidence.


47. The ultimate test: "Would the goal still advance if nobody knew I was doing this?"

This is an excellent psychological filter.

Imagine nobody could see:

  • your certificates

  • your notes

  • your research

  • your business plan

  • your LinkedIn posts

  • your productivity app

  • your study timetable

  • your gym membership

Would the activity still advance your objective?

If yes, it is more likely to be substantive.

If no, investigate whether the activity is partly serving social signaling or identity maintenance.


48. The deeper lesson

The mature approach to achievement is not:

"Am I working hard?"

It is:

"Am I doing the work that reality rewards?"

And not:

"Do I feel I'm progressing?"

but:

"What evidence exists that I'm progressing?"

And not:

"Have I prepared enough?"

but:

"What is the next experiment that can teach me something important?"

And not:

"How much have I invested?"

but:

"Knowing what I know today, would I invest another unit of time, money or effort?"


49. A compact framework

I would summarize the entire concept as:

The Illusory Progress Equation

Psychological Progress

Effort + Learning + Planning + Identity + Comfort

Whereas:

Actual Progress

Relevant Action × Quality of Feedback × Course Correction × Persistence

The two can diverge dramatically.

A person can have:

Very high psychological progress + very low actual progress.

That is the dangerous zone.


50. The final diagnostic

Whenever you find yourself spending substantial time on a goal, ask these seven questions:

  1. What exact outcome am I trying to produce?

  2. What external evidence would demonstrate progress?

  3. What activity produces that evidence most directly?

  4. Am I doing that activity or something adjacent to it?

  5. What uncomfortable information am I potentially avoiding?

  6. What would happen if I continued exactly like this for another year?

  7. What can I do in the next 24 hours that puts me in contact with reality?

That last question is probably the most valuable.

Because the antidote to psychological productivity isn't "work harder."

It is:

Move closer to reality.

Talk to the customer.
Take the test.
Apply for the job.
Publish the article.
Make the sale.
Build the prototype.
Ask the difficult question.
Show someone your work.
Measure the result.
Accept the feedback.
Change course.

The purpose of preparation is to make reality-testing possible—not to avoid reality-testing indefinitely.

And there is an important nuance: implementation intentions can help convert intentions into action, but rigid plans should not become another form of ritualized productivity. Research also finds that if–then plans can have drawbacks when situations differ materially from the planned context, so the plan should be paired with periodic review and adaptation. (ScienceDirect)

A useful name for the whole phenomenon

If you were developing this as a framework, book, article, workshop, or assessment tool, I'd distinguish four related concepts:

1. Procrastination — avoiding the work.

2. Busywork — doing low-value work.

3. Productive procrastination — doing useful but non-priority work instead of the priority.

4. Illusory progress / psychological productivity — performing activities that create a convincing subjective experience of progress while generating insufficient objective movement toward the goal.

That fourth category is the most interesting because the person may genuinely be hardworking, sincere and intelligent—and still spend years moving sideways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking of Airlines by Safety (Based on Accidents and Serious Snags, 2005–2025)

100 stable and 100 unstable job roles for 2025–2030

How AI Could Rewire Industry and Jobs Across India, the Gulf, and the U.S.